We are helping NHS Highland procure two new DBFM/PPP hospitals from hub North Scotland. The new hospital in Broadford on the Isle of Skye will replace the ageing Dr MacKinnon Memorial Hospital, and the new hospital in Badenoch and Strathspey will centralise services currently delivered through several dispersed inpatient units that are not fit for purpose.
Within a wider redesign of health and social care services, the new hospitals will deliver a range of benefits including:
- greater numbers of people being cared for at home;
- reduced length of stay in hospital;
- co-location of specialisms and related services;
- equality of access to services;
- dementia-friendly inpatient facilities;
- more dignity and privacy for patients – 100% single rooms with en suite.
The two new hospitals will be developed under a single DBFM/PPP contract using the Scottish hub ‘compact PPP’ modality.
We will support the NHS in-house team and are responsible to assessing financial submissions from the private sector partner, confirming that returns, margins and fees are value for money and consistent with pre-agreed levels. We will liaise with technical specialists to calibrate the payment mechanism and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and will contribute to commercial negotiations.